The Recreational Program is for all players, new or experienced, from ages 4 to 12.
Our Recreational Program guidelines:
- Create a lively positive safe environment to learn how to play soccer and have fun
- Use soccer to teach life skills, value teamwork, promote discipline, confidence and self-esteem
- Follow US Soccer and GA Soccer Guidelines
- Program is developed by US Soccer curriculum to be age appropriate and specific to the needs of the participants
Recreational soccer is primarily devoted to the enjoyment and development of soccer players without the emphasis on travel or high-level competition. We’ve developed a list of frequently asked questions for those families looking to get a head start for their child and what to expect with regard to competition, commitment, age groups and more!
Throughout the season parent volunteers will be in great demand. We will need coaches, assistant coaches, and team managers for each team. If you are interested in volunteering for any of these positions, please let us know by registering as a volunteer when you register your child.
Recreational Age Groups - Fall 2017 & Spring 2018
|Age Group||Birth Year (Born on or After)|
|05 Under||2013 (From 1-1-13 to 12-31-13)|
|06 Under||2012 (From 1-1-12 to 12-31-12)|
|07 Under||2011 (From 1-1-11 to 12-31-11)|
|08 Under||2010 (From 1-1-10 to 12-31-10)|
|10 Under||2008 – 2009 (From 1-1-08 to 12-31-09)|
|12 Under||2006 – 2007 (From 1-1-06 to 12-31-07)|
|13 Under – 19 Under||2005 – 1998 (From 1-1-98 to 12-31-05)|
- Proof of age shall consist of a birth certificate or birth registration issued by an appropriate government agency, Board of Health records, passport, alien registration card issued by the United States Government, a certificate issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service attesting to age, or a certification of an American citizen born abroad issued by the appropriate government agency. Hospital, baptismal or religious certificates will not be accepted
- Any team playing a player who is over age shall forfeit the game(s) in which that player takes part
- A player may play in his/her proper age group, or in an older age group. A player may NOT play in a younger age group
Recreation Program Fees & Information
The Recreational Program is for all players new or experienced from ages 4 to 12.
Our Recreational Program involves children ages four to 12 with instructional lessons and practices once or twice a week. This is an encouraging family-oriented experience with emphasis on fun and enjoyment. The BFC Recreational Program is built around the concept of “Just for fun!” The league is a progressive program starting with the Under 4 (4U) and progressing to the 6U and then to the RILS teams of 10U and up. As best we can, players are placed on teams from their community areas and school. Practices will be at the Oglethorpe University Complex and Skyland Park.
Games usually occur on Saturdays, but there may also be an occasional Sunday or weeknight game. Each season will have 8 to 10 games.
Our Recreational Program Guidelines
- Create a lively, positive, safe environment to learn how to play soccer and have fun.
- Use soccer to teach life skills, value teamwork, promote discipline, confidence, and self-esteem
- Follow US Soccer and GA Soccer Guidelines
- Program is developed by US Soccer curriculum to be age-appropriate and specific to the needs of the participants
Coaching and Managing
Coaching and managing is provided by team parents willing to invest their time in the area youths and are supported by the professional coaching staff of BFC Club. Our coaches are highly valued contributors to our program. BFC will provide our coaches with training opportunities and weekly written programs for our Recreational League and training sessions for our older age groups. Volunteers are encouraged to seek advanced training through state certifying organizations. If you are interested in joining our team of recreational coaches, please indicate such on the registration form or contact us at email@example.com.
Goals and Objectives
The Recreational Program introduces both the players and their families to soccer and attempts to achieve the following goals for each player
- Self Confidence
- Demonstrate and reinforce individual abilities
- Encourage participation
- Demonstrate value as player and member of the team
- Demonstrate the value of working as a team
- Earning the team’s trust and confidence
- Trusting individual and team members’ abilities
- Helping each other helps the team
- Skills of the game
- Fundamentals: Passing, Dribbling, Shooting, Throw-ins
- Tactical application of fundamentals
- Thinking: learn to watch the game, know when to dribble, pass, or shoot
- Work together to maintain control of the ball
- Playing positions
- Moving the ball up the field
- Know where to be and what to do during Kick offs, corner kicks, penalty shots, etc.
5U/6U (Co-Ed) – 4v4
Provide players opportunity to touch the ball as much as possible. This is fun atmosphere with the beginning of team dynamics. There is a 10-week curriculum that is not only enjoyable for the children, but also makes coaching easy even for the novice parent coach. Practices are held once a week for 45 minutes to an hour (coach’s discretion based on player stamina). There will be 8-10 games played against other teams within the BFC Club.
7U/8U (Co-ed) – 4v4
Provide players opportunity to touch the ball as much as possible. Players are introduced to field positions and development of team play. Playing to win is introduced, however, individual participation and team spirit is the goal. Practices are held once a week for a minimum of one hour. The coach and parents may wish to opt for a second practice as they see fit. There will be 8-10 games played against other teams within the BFC Club.
9U/10U – 7v7
30 minute halves, 1 referee. Practices are held twice a week for 90 minutes. There are 8-10 games scheduled by the state against surrounding communities.
11U/12U – 9v9
30 minute halves, 1 referee.
Activity Fees are the most competitive and valued fees in Georgia with a strong program, excellent facilities and a strong training and volunteer commitment.
- League Registration Fees
- Team Equipment
- Weekend League Games